Coconut Curry Brussels Sprout Salad
By SHARON PALMER, SPONSORED BY UNILEVER AS PART OF THEIR AGENTS OF CHANGE PROGRAM
Shaved Brussels sprouts are a great way to showcase new textures and flavors in a salad, especially this zesty, Thai-inspired salad with papaya, a flavorful vinaigrette, and a topping of crunchy Growing Roots Coconut Curry Organic Coconut & Seed Bites.
I am a huge fan of Growing Roots, because these whole food snacks are organic, plant-based, and culturally aware, with each flavor inspired by international flavors. The great flavors include Coconut Curry (used in this recipe), Pineapple Coconut Rum, Cocoa Chipotle, and Maple Bourbon. And that’s not all by a long shot! I love that Growing Roots gives back 50% of its profits to support urban farms.
I recently got a chance to visit Unilever headquarters to learn more about the mission of Growing Roots, and I’m really excited about this line of food products, which gives back to the community, by supporting the creation of urban farms. Urban farms are a positive way to engage the community around local, sustainable foods, and allowing people to connect back to the roots of the food system. It’s a great way to get kids to learn how to grow their own foods, and to provide greater access to produce in cities.
While you can just munch on Growing Roots right out of the bag, it’s also a great addition to recipes, such as a topping on salads, casseroles, or desserts. I borrowed the Thai flavor profile of Growing Roots
Coconut Curry to add a flavorful crunch to my Brussels sprouts salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups papaya, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame or peanut oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ small jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium, gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 cup Growing Roots Coconut Curry Organic Coconut & Seed Bites
- To make salad, shave Brussels sprouts: trim ends, and slice very thinly vertically with a knife or mandolin. (You can also find pre-shaved Brussels sprouts in some markets, too.) Place shaved Brussels sprouts, cilantro, green onions, and papaya in a large salad bowl.
- To make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, jalapeno, agave nectar, and soy sauce until smooth.
- Toss dressing into the salad and combine well.
- Top with Growing Roots Coconut Curry Organic Coconut & Seed Bites. Serve immediately.